This delicious chocolate banana bread has a psychedelic swirl to it and is fun to make and serve. Make it in a large pan for a crowd, or a few mini pans to give as gifts. As with many of our recipes, you can choose the strength by replacing the butter in this recipe with as much or as little cannabutter as you please. If you have tested the strength of your cannabutter and feel half a teaspoon is a good dose, replace just four teaspoons of the butter with cannabutter. I suggest 2 tablespoons (6 teaspoons) of cannabutter here– make adjustments as desired.
¾ cup semisweet chocolate chips
2 cups all-purpose flour
¾ cup sugar
¾ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
3 very ripe bananas
¼ cup buttermilk
2 large eggs, beaten lightly
4 Tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
2 tablespoons cannabutter, melted and cooled
1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Spray a 9-inch loaf pan (or 3 mini/4-inch loaf pans) with cooking spray, layer with parchment paper, then lightly grease the parchment paper with cooking spray. Melt the chocolate chips in a medium (about 4-cup capacity) microwave-safe bowl for 15-second increments, stirring between each increment, until smooth. Set aside to cool slightly while you prepare the batter.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate medium bowl, mash the bananas with a fork. Add the buttermilk, eggs, melted butters and vanilla, blending well with the fork or a whisk.
- Using a rubber spatula, stir the banana mixture into the dry ingredients just until combined-- it will be thick and slightly lumpy, that’s what you want! Scoop 1 cup of the batter in to the bowl with the melted chocolate and stir to combine.
- Fill the prepared loaf pan or pans with alternating scoops of the banana batter and the chocolate batter. Using a butter knife, swirl the batters together.
- Bake the bread in the preheated oven for about 45-55 minutes for the large pan, or 30-40 for the small pans, until a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean.
- Allow the loaf or loaves to cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to a rack to cool completely. Slice, serve and enjoy.